At the beginning of the year many people made a commitment to live healthier lives, myself included. Since then, I (like many others) have been off and on the health bandwagon. It’s a week after Valentine’s Day and I know a lot of people ate themselves into a coma, so I thought I’d share a light, healthy meal that is both beautiful and delicious. I’ve been a recent convert to kale, and I think everyone should give it a try. I think kale scares people off, especially when it’s raw. However, this recipe will make the unbelievers believers. So get your knife and cutting board and let’s get to chopping.
Crunchy Kale Salad with Goat Cheese & Lemon Chive Vinaigrette
What you’ll need for the salad:
Granny Smith Apple
Crumbled Goat Cheese
- Rinse off the Kale with cold water to remove any dirt and pat dry with a paper towel. Shred the kale leaves with a knife. Place into a large bowl.
- Cut the green and red cabbage into fourths. Shred the cabbage with a knife and place into the bowl with the kale.
- Julienne the Granny Smith apple, and place into the bowl with the kale and cabbage. Meanwhile, toast the walnuts in the a saute pan until aromatic. Roughly chop the walnuts and set aside. They will be used as garnish.
- Add the goat cheese to the kale and cabbage mix. Toss everything together. Set aside while you make the vinaigrette.
What you’ll need for the Vinaigrette:
- In a bowl combine lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and sliced chives.
- Once combined, slowly pour the olive oil in a steady stream and whisk constantly until combined.
- Add the vinaigrette to the kale mix, top with walnuts, and eat!
Now does kale look scary? I didn’t think so. If you need something nutritious and delicious, reach for this salad. Eat it as a main dish, or as a small side to accompany a panini or pasta. Healthy doesn’t need to be boring or bland, and this salad provides many different textures and flavors to stimulate your palate. Now get cooking!
Crunchy Kale Salad with Lemon Chive Vinaigrette
For the Salad:
1 bunch Kale, shredded
½ head of green cabbage, shredded
½ head of red cabbage, shredded
1 Granny Smith Apple, julienned
5 oz goat cheese, crumbled
3 oz walnut halves, toasted and roughly chopped
For the Vinaigrette:
1 lemon, juiced
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp chopped chives
Salt and Pepper, to taste
¼-½ cup olive oil
- To assemble the salad: combine shredded kale, red & green cabbage, julienned apple, and goat cheese. Set aside.
- To assemble dressing: whisk together lemon juice, Dijon mustard, chopped chives, salt, and pepper. In a steady stream, pour in the olive oil, whisking constantly.
- Add the dressing into the salad mix and toss together lightly. Top with the chopped walnuts.